Sunday, February 17, 2008

The walnut tree

Months ago I threw a pile of unwanted walnuts in the forest on the far side of the garage on the grounds that they would take too long to decompose in the compost or Bokashi. The garage forest is no longer and today I found a walnut seedling. So now it is in a pot and perhaps we'll have a beautiful walnut tree one day.





I transplanted lots of veges into larger pots today and parsley into the garden. I've laid about six new beer traps for the slugs. I've caught caterpillars in them before now too. I went to the local nursery and bought more comfrey and have added it to the front garden - the permaculture nutter sign in effect.





I also bought seeds of these:
St Brigid's anemones. My daughter is named for St Brigid. Must look out for plants with name connections to the rest of us.

Made zucchini pickle this afternoon. Zucchinis from our garden. Oh blah blah. How often can I skite in one season?

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Love the story about the walnut ... can we have the recipe for the zucchini pickle, please? and ... what does skite mean?

Joanna

Sandra said...

Ooooh, I like finding NZisms by accident like this. To 'skite' is to show off, to brag.

I've long enjoyed your blog Joanna.