Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Dinner

Blade steak casserole done in the slow cooker. Not suitable to the hot weather particularly, but suitable to when I had five minutes to cook today.

Home grown: celery, thyme, oregano, garlic

Organic beef from down the road which where we live just happens to mean nearly 100kms away. Spuds from the Marlborough farmers' market - in laws bought them for us on a recent visit. The rest comes from - - - - *the shops*.

Oh and four guest ingredients, much prized: my borlotti beans. They are actually so beautiful to look at that I have considered drying and shelling them all and putting them in a jar to keep on the kitchen windowsill just for looking at. Then I wondered if they would go mouldy or shrivel and look unattractive after a while so I put them in dinner and I had one on my plate and yes it tasted very nice.

I have another food question: the faba beans from the Spanish dish Fabada, are they butter beans in NZ speak? What is the closest bean that I can grow? When we came back from our first trip to Spain, I adored that dish so much that at least twice I travelled from zone 4, East London, to the a street near the Portobello market on the other side of town just to buy the ingredients to make 'the real thing'. And at local prices, not Borough Market/Brindisa prices. We have a nearby specialty butchers here on the coast which does black and white puddings and perhaps the other ingredients. On my list for winter then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think faba (or fabe) beans are broad beans.

Anonymous said...

In American English they are called fava beans, and indeed are the same as broad beans.

In American English butter beans are called lima beans.

Sandra said...

Thanks. I've now done a bit more sleuthing and of course it turns out that'authentic' fabada is made with special beans only grown in the Asturias under a million special conditions. Less exacting recipes call for white beans so I think lima beans could be closer in that case. No seeds for Lima beans that I've seen in NZ, but Kings Seeds does sell cannelini beans which I will try next year.