Saturday, February 23, 2008

Chickpea heaven

Catching up with Joanna's blog this evening, I found two recipes I intend to cook soon. This one is Moroccan Spiced chickpeas and is from a link on Joanna's site. Being, as usual these days, totally out of touch with the Guardian/Observer fashionable world of food (The Observer Food Monthly used to be my favourite Sunday of the month when living in the UK), I am grateful to Joanna for updating me on the Mount Athos diet. I am so behind that I'm only just starting The Omnivore's Dilemma now, because today is the day which our library finally managed not only to purchase it but to complete the dizzying and apparently highly time consuming chore of cataloguing it. They have to use three computers to catalogue it you know. Takes a month on average it seems. So the chickpea patties (second link) are just what I've wanted for ages as an alternative to the deep fried felafel which I love from Lebanese or Greek Souvlaki places but I refuse to deep fry at home. I make enough mess in the kitchen as it is.



Both recipes are from canned, which is most useful for New Zealanders given the difficulty sourcing

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you'll like The Omnivore's Dilemma. It's very oriented towards the US system of producing food from corn (maize), but if you think about it I think you'll see how food is probably produced in a similar way for you. For example here in Europe everything is based on soy beans.

I don't know if you've read anything by Michael Pollan before, but he has an easy to read and entertaining writing style.

I think this book changed my attitude about food more than any other I've read in the last several years.

If you're interested, I posted a review of it.

Joanna said...

Thanks for the link, those chickpeas are worth trying, although I really do think there's too much flour in the original recipe. I've been eating them all week for lunch, as the rest of the family all say they don't like
chickpeas. They're gonna have to get used to them, I've been reading M Pollan ... eat food, not too much, mostly plants