Friday, February 1, 2008

progress

My parents in law spent four nights with us recently. Fil and Favourite Handyman achieved great things around the section. We have an old shed right on the boundary line. You can't get planning permission to build new sheds in such places anymore and it's a really useful shed. Which is rotting in places. So fil and fh moved into the neighbours' back yard for a couple of days and stripped the shed wall of weeds, waterblasted it, replaced the rotten boards, used builder's bog liberally and the painted the wall. Ten days ago I hadn't heard of builder's bog; now I know it is very useful stuff. Probably environmentally bad, but still very useful. Then fh had to go back to paid work and fil fixed numerous doors and windows so they shut properly, fixed the gate so it hangs properly and the baby can't crawl through the bottom, made me a chicken wire cage for the leaf mould I'm going to collect this Autumn, noticed another broken fence and fixed it and fixed the broken part of the sandpit. Mil played with the children which I also appreciated.

Today I transplanted leeks, rainbow chard and lettuce. I watered much of the edible garden with seaweed and comfrey brew. I also sowed seeds of kale, purple sprouting broccolli, pak choi, mizuna, corn salad, florence fennel, coriander, carrots, beetroot and rainbow chard. Now it is raining which is excellent timing.

Last night I got home to a message about a chicken coop. b-i-g excitement. I've had a wanted notice at the local supermarket for the last fortnight asking for a small chicken coop. I'm off to inspect it tomorrow.

No comments: