Monday, February 18, 2008

Saving the magnolia

One tree at a time I guess. Today Brighid and I joined a group protesting against the local Catholic school's plan to chop down a beautiful old magnolia tree which is on land bequeathed to them and now site of a proposed extension to the school playground. We stood in front of the tree and looked solemn for the photographer from the local rag. I don't know much about local body politics and effective activism, but today was a reasonable entry point.

3 comments:

Rach said...

I thought you were a pro! You certainly come across that way, encouraging us all into local body politics n all.

No long brown hair.
No activist.

The image is crumbling.

Sandra said...

I do have a reasonable history of activism, but not generally of local body lobbying (though I guess I was part of it with the recycling group last year). There was all this talk today of things being designated in the council plan and registering trees and the process (only once a year it seems - sigh). And I realised I have SOOO much to learn to get really confident at the mechanisms of effective local lobbying. The organiser of today's little protest had called the MP's office and MP's *secretary* said she had a conflict of interest because she is on said school board of trustees. ummm but *she* isn't the MP. Got us wondering what she filters in regard to briefing our MP.

Why I am I focused on acquiring these skills? Because I'll probably want them for a pile of things. Also because we want the road crossing (of State Highway 7 no less) to our son's school improved so no child dies, not after a fewe sacrificial precious children have forced the government's hand. Oh yeah that's the central/national govt. I just need to know it all. Active, participatory democracy in action I hope.

Anonymous said...

that's the Sandra I imagine!