Friday, February 1, 2008

new projects

This is the front of our property and of the garage above. This picture is after the trees were felled but before they had all been mulched for the garden or sawn up for firewood. This area was all in darkness because of a thick stand of unpleasant looking, invasive trees. I had thought it was ungardenable but actually now the sun is on it, there is mega potential. This area gets the late afternoon sun, that lovely golden hue as the sun stretches out it's last rays for the day. The crop of yellow weeds in front of the flax looks quite nice and has inspired me to think of a yellow garden. Pumpkins, zucchinis (for their food and their yellow flowers), sunflowers, daffodils and other cuties yet to be decided, I think. I'll start by planting bulbs in Autumn around the edges.
The photo above is another of the plot which was all lawn merely months ago. The woodchip mulch has helped the plants cope with the sun and the liquid fertiliser has helped with growth. I'm always thinking this area isn't lush with growth the way it *should* be. Forgettting that I pick from this garden for lunch and dinner every day and the plants keep producing. In the bare-looking patches are small lettuces and chard. I put in three beer traps after losing sevferal lettuces seedlings to the slugs in this garden. The beer traps proved successful and hopefully the replacement seedlings I put in today will thrive. For the beer traps, I used baby food jars, one third filled with beer and buried them in the garden so the top of the jar is level with the top of the soil/mulch.
The photo above is of my invasive patch. The area under pea straw has bokashi buried in it and will be planted in Spring. The plastic bag to the left is full of seeded docks which I don't want in the compost. A bit closer to the centre from the bag is the mint area. The invasive nasturtiums and convulvulus have kept the roots of the mint cool and damp. This area was also full of ugly invasive trees when we moved in and I'm yet to decide exactly what I will do with it. Some afternoon sun. Quite a cold spot in winter in the morning.
Three of my borlotti beans. Good to see they will grow, though a very small harvest this year. I think they are growing in quite poor soil. I'll get some poo down over winter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pictures look great! It's nice to see some of your garden. The beans not doing well might be because you don't have nitrogen fixing bacteria in the ground. When you pull up the plants, you should have a look at the roots and see if you have root nodules. Have a look here for more information, if you don't know what nitrogen fixing bacteria is:

http://www.patnsteph.net/weblog/?p=56

http://coopette.com/blog/
bean-boosters-inoculants-and-rhizobia