Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Yellow cherry guava

I had been thinking we had no fruit trees. Primarily because we have no fruit.



But I did an inventory of everything in the garden yesterday and then sketched out my plans for this coming summer and we do indeed have a number of fruit trees/bushes/plants.



blackcurrants - tamarillo - feijoa - raspberries - lemon - strawberries



Next on my list are blueberries. What do you do to raise money for fruit trees? Dealing in illegal drugs seems an extreme measure, as does begging or stealing or defrauding or making counterfeit money. I have noted however, that the NZ Gardener magazine pays out a $50 garden centre voucher for every letter they publish. Which would pay for the two blueberry plants I have chosen at our local garden nursery and for most of a yellow cherry guava.



I've neither touched nor eaten a guava but I'm not letting that put me off. Inspired by the latest NZ Gardener magazine, I looked them up at Incredible Edibles and now I want one. They fruit in winter. After the guava, I will be coveting a plum. A Damson plum tree I think. Then we should be shaping up for year round fruit in the garden. Nah nah na nah nah peak oil.

The chook house building is progressing nicely.

1 comment:

Sharonnz said...

Guava jelly...yummo!!