Friday, June 6, 2008

food diversity

I'm part way through reading Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions. (Tania, various things happened and I upped it on my priority list and ordered within New Zealand, out of our food budget.)

I'm very interested in much of what she has to say, though I'm not at all convinced on the raw offal meat organs front or on serving raw egg to babies.

I strongly suspect full on romanticisation on the part of Weston A Price himself in his visits to 'primitives' aroudn the world. I remember reading Edward Said's work on Orientalism when I was at university and his concepts come to mind when I read the many quotes from Price in Nourishing Traditions.

I am fascinated and quite open to being convinced on the sections about digestibility and how previous culinary traditions soaked grains and soured milk to increase digestibility.

She also talks about the benefits of eating many different vegetables and I'm beginning my latest foodie fad with my own vegetable and fruit challenge.

Today I ate persimmon for the first time and liked it.

In winter we eat broccoli-carrots-kumara-mushrooms-onion-garlic-swiss chard adn this winter also kale, all the time.

I ordered brussels sprouts this week in our vege box. Challenge is to eat and want them again.

I'll come back to the fats issue another time.

3 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Oh, I remember seeing a great exhibition on Orientalism at Ak Art Gallery. Reminds me that we need to have that conversation around romantic notions of developing world practices;-)

Sandra said...

we do need to have that conversation! Your blog or mine Sharon?

Robbyn said...

I've got Nourishing Traditions, too. I'll be interested in hearing what you think about the fats. I'm very interested in her bent on fermented foods, but I absolutely won't eat raw meats or lard and will never be convinced about either of them. Can't wait to see your (or Sharon's) discussion about romanticizing traditional practices :)