Monday, June 23, 2008

Slowing down

I'm sticking to my hibernation. I'm only leaving the house to go to work or purchase essential provisions. I'm not going to:
coffee group
book group
active birth group
or sewing class

Not this week anyway.

One consequence of our slowed down day is that I did a little weeding before the rain moved up a gear. I don't seem to have planted cornsalad at all. What I planted looks incredibly similar to docks. I compared them leaf for leaf. Not the cleverest thing I've done all year. I dug the 'cornsalad' seedlings out and the roots also look remarkably like dock roots.

Garlic and shallot leaves are showing through in several places now. I have some leeks which could be eaten, though I'm holding out for a bit more fattening first.

I ate the last of the basil on the windowsill - put it in the hummous. Repotted the coriander seedlings. I won't get the same strength of flavour that I would in proper hot summer weather, but some basil and coriander is better than none.

Reading through an old gardening magazine, I noticed a comment on freesias suiting Auckland as they didn't mind being damp a lot and didn't need frosts. My freesia leaves look great and I'm leaving them in the ground for the next few years. Perhaps they'll prove the best spring bulbs here in wetville.

No comments: