Monday, June 16, 2008

"Good" magazine

I saw this new magazine on the stands last week and I've just read that Sad Little Garden has been eyeing it up also.

I'm usually quite a sucker for magazines. Not the glossy svelte ladies' magazines, but various gardening, food, current affairs magazines do make their way into my shopping trolley o. n occasion.

So why didn't I purchase Good? It is after all about the eco friendly types of things I like to think I espouse.

Weeeell. Not really. It might be carbon neutral (except if that is buying carbon credits, then I think that scheme is about as ethical as when in the middle ages people bought indulgences from the Pope). It is also apparently printed on recycled paper. Heavy weight stuff, probably supposed to denote quality. But inside, there is lots of white space, big type and more commercial stuff, like photo shoots on home furnishings made of bamboo. So, buy more stuff aye? Cash in on the current zeitgeist for things eco?

A few months ago, a person wrote a letter to the editor of NZ Organics magazine, saying they had a good message, but they needed to get sexy. I love that NZ Organics depicts earthy people at work in their work clothes, that in this magazine people over 25 actually exist etc. I don't want NZ Organics to go "sexy". But if sexy, lite-eco is what you are after, then Good is now available at a New Zealand supermarket or newsagent near you.

I don't mean to be nasty as in wanting someone else's baby to fail. But I don't suggest you buy Good. I suggest that if you like magazines as I do, then you buy the ones you really love, share them with your friends, and put your 'eco' efforts into not buying things. Or buying magazines which really teach you how to put some changes in place, whether growing garlic or diy home insulation.

5 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Yeah...that green wash again huh?

Rach said...

a-men sis-ta

Anoushka said...

ditto ;> I'm glad I resisted the impulse buy. After I thought about it overnight I realised exactly what you've articulated so well Sandra.

Yesterday I allowed myself the NZ Gardener special ed Homegrown 2 instead. MMMMM satisfies my need for glossy, gorgeous photos AND gives me useful recipes like how to turn my nasturtium leaves into pesto and their pods into "poor man's capers" ;>

Sandra said...

I'd love to hear if you make the mock-capers Anoushka.

Anoushka said...

As soon as I see pods on my nasturtiums I've give it a go! Love the herb site you linked to BTW. Turns out I know her. Her girl is in the same class as my older boy so I'm going to ask her next time I see her if I can go with her on one of her walks. I love free food. Which reminds me, next time I dig out a clump of onion weed I'm going to bring it inside and eat it ;>