Thursday, June 26, 2008

locavore schmokavore

The mad man from Hoki has been advertising this week that he will have his cart (home grown veges plus free range eggs) in our town today and tomorrow afternoon. So I don't bother putting a delivery order in with the excellent people who drive produce over from the markets in Chrirstchurch. I plan to buy spuds and pumpkin from the local cart and if I can get fish again, then together with my own greend veg, a locavore meal is possible.

But the mad man doesn't bother turning up.

So tonight we have bought fish and chips for dinner and I'm still considering throwing budget smudgets out the window and using more fossil fuel to go buy some wine.

We've had rain, hail, thunder and lightning here in small wet town over the last 24 hours. Apparently we're in for rain for two weeks solid. And it is dark a lot. My Danish friend Nina has organised a group of families to go burn a witch on the beach this Saturday - to do with the shortest day, or being only a week after the shortest day. I guess that will be after the high school kapa haka fundraiser and the rugby league 'fun day'. So much for hibernation.

No I haven't done anything in the garden lately. I did get some books out of the library - some on herbs which I've had out before and another by a young man from the UK who spent two years in Tuvalu as a VSO local lawyer. And a book on New Zealand artists and their favourite foods. I wish Barbara Kingsolver would write another book soon though. Her prose is beautiful.

No comments: