Friday, June 13, 2008

onion weed

Today as I was weeding out the front, pulling out big bunches of onion weed as per local protocol. I've been warned that it is a terrible pest and we have big patches although to be honest it has never been a pest in the way that docks have.

Then it occurred to me that the bulb I was lifting was very similar to a spring onion and as it smelled strongly of onions, perhaps it is an onion.

and therefore edible.

So tonight I did a little googling and indeed we can eat them and tomorrow I am going to start doing exactly that. Whether it is too delicate for the slow cooker or not I don't know, but it is going in there with the bacon bone, the chickpea cooking water as stock and every vegetable I notice in the fridge and the root vegetables storage cupboard in the morning. Tonight was a bought fish and chips night and tomorrow is looking excessively full of antics involving trying to be a good mother, so the slow cooker can be part of the endeavour.

My googling brought up this lovely site. Welcome to New Zealand Brigitte!

No comments: