Monday, June 9, 2008

garden

In the picture at the top of my blog, you can see a pile of logs beside the wheelbarrow. That pile has now been used all over the garden as borders for raised beds. Finished using all but the tiny scrappy logs today. Then I dumped eight bags of horse poo on top of my front of the garage garden which I started a few months ago. So now it is layers of newspaper, river sand, chicken and straw mixture, grass clippings and horse poo. It needs some more carbon, which will arrive in the form of peastraw on Wednesday and perhaps some bark if I can find some round the property (I am sure there is a box of it somewhere unless I've already used it up). But now it has the logs around it, it is looking much more proper garden plot-like. This is part of the area I've proposed as my yellow garden, because in summer, the sun casts it's late-in-the-day rays across this area and everything glows a little golden.

Actual vegetable plants won't go in this garden patch until October or November. I had been thinking zucchinis for this spot, but they seem to cope with less rich soil than this will be, so I've also thought of trying the classic corn-squash-beans combination which I've read of in several books and articles. This spot may be a bit windy for corn unless I set up some shelter cloth. I probably should set up some shelter cloth no matter what goes there.

Flax is impossible to cut with loppers. What do I need to use? What did Maori use pre-European tools? Or perhaps they just pulled it from the base. Didn't try that.

I did plant the shallots as per yesterday's goals. But no progress on the indoor herbs and veg.

3 comments:

Nik said...

I've cut flax using a sharp kitchen knife (kitchen scissors work too). Not sure if you know, but make sure you cut it the right way to preserve the health of the plant (cut it on an angle down low on the flax away from the plant so water doesn't flow into the plant if that makes sense). There are other protocol to follow too (such as don't take the middle three flax of the fan thing).

Sandra said...

Thanks Nikki. There is flax overhanging the garden and I've tied most of it to the side but want to cut off one pesky in-the-way flax leaf (leaf? you know what I mean).

Nik said...

I'd probably just cut it with scissors then (can it not be bent down and fed back the other direction?)