Friday, June 27, 2008

Mary Washington

That's the name of the asparagus crowns I bought today. I've never grown asparagus before and now seems a perfectly reasonable time to start. The plot I had planned to put them in is not dug over and ready, so I'm going to slot them in amongst the veges in my January raised bed. I bought three for the moment, at $2 each. I haven't really got a clue how many I want but some has to be a massive improvement on none.

One day, when it stops raining (i.e. at least next month), I shall plant out the asparagus crowns and also get going creating the plot which was for asparagus but now is for cucurbits of some kind. I've been eyeing up costata romanesco zucchinis, the rampicante ones and I plan to fit some pumpkins in as well.

I meant to protect the tamarillo from wind and frost but haven't. It's still going out there, but leaning steeply sideways.

No comments: