Monday, June 16, 2008

extra-curricular overload

No doubt you all know children who have so many violin lessons/ballet/soccer/drama/swimming and more activities in a week and you wonder when they ever get to just breathe.

Maybe that will be me. At 36.

On Saturday we went to the opening of a new display at our local historical theme park. I took my elderly cousin and we had a great time, viewing the sawmilling exhibit and linking it to the stories of Mary's paternal family who milled on the coast for many decades. Then we watched the wood chopping and sawing competitions. I loved how it was a celebration of working class [men's] skills. Mary and I need to go back and I also want to borrow equipment and record Mary talking about her family for the local museum and for her children and grandchildren.

Then at night I was off to our meetup for World Wide Knit in Public Day. An enjoyable evening. My friend Emily is keen to set up a knitting group from it. I also got inspired about settting up a craft day, showcasing all the craft groups in our town, though that one will have to fall off the list.

Sunday was a creative writing workshop with Kate De Goldi. It was the first time I've written creatively since 2001. I enjoyed that. My friend Paul is keen to set up a local writers' group from it.

But the thing is, I've been thinking about setting up a food gardeners' group in our small town. That is the one I want to do the most but the others I could attend without being the organiser. There is also the small issue that I feel quite busy enough now.

I know there is peak oil and starving children in Somalia and my house is a tip and these are frivolous concerns. Just felt like letting them out of my frivolous body before I go back to bed for the day, full of cold. I did nothing in the garden all weekend.

1 comment:

Sharonnz said...

The theme park sounds like a lot of fun! If you can find another enthusiastic person or two to co-organise the gardeners group I'd say go for it!!