Wednesday, June 11, 2008

out damned clutter, damned lurgies

There is a baby extravaganza here in smalltown this Saturday. I don't do stalls at such things as nearly everything my children wear has been given to us and I don't sell gifts.

But our Active Birth group which I am involved with is having a stall and we can gift things to them which will be sold and raise money for our group. The money will be used to buy more resources to share with members. Our mission is to give women the information and tools they need to birth without fear and without medical interventions. It's a very open group and very welcoming of women who have had all sorts of birth experiences and would like to spend time with us.

So three bags of clothes and a funny shaped pillow are in the car ready to drop off tomorrow. If I can find the time, I bet I could fill three more bags. Imagine a house without clutter (insert swoon and also pigs flying emoticons here). At least this is a step in the right direction.

Garden achievements today: I noticed where the pile of bark is. One achievement more than no gardening; no less precious for it's tinyness. So that bark will go on top of the horse poo sometime this week.

I've also been organising for a wonderful woman from Cronadun, a very tiny place nearly 90km from me, to come up for the day this Friday and do some reflexology treatments. I'm a big fan of reflexology as practised by Donna and have been getting her to treat the rest of my family in an attempt to boost immune systems. In order to make it worth her driving up, I need to find other people also wanting treatment and that wasn't hard to do. She has an excellent reputation.

I heard some science person belittling reflexology on the radio a while ago. Science is a wonderful tool and I would never claim that reflexology can be tested scientifically. But neither can the effects of a friend dropping round when you are low to chat and share cake, or someone giving a massage or remembering a birthday. Reflexology helped enormously when I was pregnant and afterwards and it has also done great things for my son. Not great things as in life saving. Great things as in boosted strength and evened out his mood swings, lowering the number of negative strops. I have learnt a lot about my body as I observe the different feelings as Donna works on my feet and I am forever quizzing her on which part of the body a certain spot she has just touched links to. Self-awareness is rarely bad in my view. Reflexology has been a real gift for me.

2 comments:

Nik said...

I've never had reflexology done, but have a friend in Akld who went from being high-flying-business-woman to reflexologist and now moving down country for the slow life and sustainable living. If only she were closer to me.

Sandra said...

I ponder learning myself occasionally. Would be a wonderful healing art to share in moneyless community.