Thursday, June 5, 2008

One local season, One Fat Lady

I've been reading with interest about the Northern Hemisphere one local summer challenge on Joanna's blog.

Could I do it here in Winter? Not sure, but I'm thinking about it.

Perhaps us Southern Hemisphere gals could have a go at this in our Summer?

I've finished "Spilling the Beans" by Clarissa Dickson Wright of Two Fat Ladies fame. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend you order it from your library also. If you are only interested in living simply, then she won't be the read for you at the moment, though you'd be missing out. She has serious gumption and survival skills. I loved reading about her endeavours around good food in England and Scotland and now know she is partly responsible for the revival of Borough Market in London, a place I adored. Books for Cooks in Portobello has also benefited from her skills and I remember trekking over there to check that place out a couple of times also. Food heaven. If someone you love has problems with alcohol, then it is a powerful and relevant book also. Her narrative of the process of alcoholism and rehabilitation will stay with me a long time.

She is also an enthusiast of good food growing, as any food enthusiast must be. Her cardoon growing project has made me consider growing it. Kings Seeds have it in their catalogue.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Sandra, thanks for the link. I think that there's a winter equivalent, too, called Dark Days Challenge ... I know that it would be much more difficult, and probably better to start with the summer challenge before moving on to winter ... it looks to me as if there'll have to be a southern hemisphere version, as compatibility is a problem .. having said that, I am often seriously envious of people living in southern Europe, who barely have winter, and who are harvesting in March April what we don't get until May June July

But it's amazing how having to do the whole of one meal concentrates your mind rather more than just thinking that you'll buy as much local as you can

Joanna