Friday, June 6, 2008

Still warm enough for caterpillars

I've found them on my kale this week and on my tamarillo plant tonight. Winter can fool me sometimes. I've got aphids on the basil and coriander on my kitchen windowsill and another kind of aphid on my kale.

The recent NZ Gardener vege growing in the south column recommended I put a light dusting of wood ash on my broad beans, so I did that tonight as well. Some even have flowers on them. A bit early I thought but I don't know much about broad beans except they grow in winter.

Only about six minutes in the garden, but precious and worthwhile.

2 comments:

Sharonnz said...

I think we need to preserve a good pile of wood ash somewhere as I keep reading of different garden uses for it.

Frances said...

Wood ash? Hmmm. We don't have a fireplace, all electric here.

(Might have to look into it further and beg off the neighbours if necessary!) :-)