Tuesday, July 1, 2008

seed time

Shortest day has been and gone and I'm getting twitchy on the seed front. I've been looking at NZ seed catalogues online this evening and have also brought my seed box in from the shed. But before I tally what I already have, I have to share this picture which I found on the Koanga site.

This might be what you were referring to Nikki?


It is called Kale Lacinato. It doesn't look as big as the Cavolo Nero (walking stick cabbage) which in pictures which I've seen looks similar in leaf characteristics. I might just have to get Red Russian Kale and Kale Lacinato.

Here, for the purposes of harnessing my overly grand buying plans, is a list of the vegetable seeds I already have packets of.
Arugula
Beetroot chioggia
Broad beans exhibition long pod
Broccoli purple sprouting early
Bean borlotto fire tongue
Celery for cutting
Corn salad Verte de Cambrai
Carrot Touchon
Carrot White Belgian
Chicory Red Verona
Florence Fennel Romanesco
Kale Squire
Leek Carentan Giant
Mesclun lettuce mix
Mesclun organic salad mix
Mizuna
Onion White Welsh
Onion Red Brunswick
Pak choi Cash F1
Pumpkin Austrian Oil Seed
Radish gourmet blend
Beet bright lights
Beet Argentata
Tomato Sungold F1
Tomato Rainbow Blend mixture
Hmm, 25 packets of seed. I don't think we will starve even if we end up with no seed buying budget whatsoever. But I do have a few more things to add. Kale as aforementioned, plus a couple of varieties of zucchini, at least one more (primarily for eating the flesh kind) pumpkin, some peas, and some different tomatoes. Oh and more beans. I've reigned myself in on the onion experimentation front for the meantime. Some of the packets above served us well last year while others disappeared into ungerminated never never land.
Heavens knows where I'll fit them all. This doesn't include my herb list. I do covet a few flowers, but they are lower on my list and some may fall off.

3 comments:

Nik said...

I received all my ecoseeds today. Very exciting. I don't know for sure, but the googling I've just done seems to show that both are one and the same, just called different names depending on the region.

Nova said...

oooo that is spectacular! me wants! i'm just waiting (impatiently) for the july catalogue to come out from koanga :) but i've got 4 types of heritage potatoes to be getting on with in the meantime!

Sandra said...

Are you sprouting your potatoes now Nova? Or are you frost free and able to grow potatoes through winter?