Monday, July 7, 2008

garden planning

Today I buried the innards of the roosters and a bucket of bokashi in the old tobacco patch. There were worms, but only a fraction of the volume of worms I found in the blueberry patch a few days ago. The difference is that the blueberry patch has had bokashi buried in it mere weeks ago and it has had compost (a mix I made comprising mostly horse poo and pea straw) layered over top with pine needles for the final layer. So I'm expecting that today's bokashi will do good things for the worm numbers.

The old tobacco patch is 1.0 x 4.0 metres. The one metre width seemed a perfect size at the time that I created the bed, but I forgot that due to the boundary fence on one side, I would only be able to access the bed from one side. So today I found I had to stand on the actual garden in order to do some of the digging. Which is really really bad according to almost every organic gardening text I have ever read. I think one way of minimising the soil compaction risk is to plant perennial herbs against the fence and then have annual vegetables at the front. I believe lady flower gardeners would turn such a spot into a herbaceous border. Sniff and snort.

I've got a few options of herbs to put along the fence and then I'll plant potatoes in front. This is where the glass house will go eventually but for the moment I'm not letting that shape my planning. We're prioritising building a lean-to for the firewood this summer and completing some more insualtion tasks. I don't think we'll have a functional glass house until 2010. We will have chooks by this Spring though, so all is coming along beautifully I think.

No comments: