Thursday, July 24, 2008

wet wet wet

The garden is seriously sloshy. At least it has stopped raining today and fine weather is forecast for the next two days. My broad beans are looking sad and battered and some of them are black.

The onion seeds are coming up - I'd better eat some leeks to make room for the onions.

Mesclun and sprouts progressing nicely.

I bought a punnet of broccoli seedlings today but it is too wet to transplant them. I'm pushed for room in the established garden beds which have sufficient winter sun, but it has to be worth a try when broccoli costs $3.30 per small head in the supermarket.

Some potatoes are sprouting already.

I might pull out some or all of the celery to make more planting room. I could freeze the stems. Or another thing I learnt tonight is that I could dry the foliage (low oven or dehydrator) and keep for stocks/soups.

No comments: