Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Aotearoa Slow Food

Wonderful discovery this morning, via a comment on Nikki's blog. New Zealand has it's own slow food group (convivium no less - some days I'm an educated girl, other days I'm the working class girl from Stoke!). Aotearoa Slow Food is based in Wellington, a place of such stylish culture that if I were ever to afford and desire city living within NZ again, Wellington would be it. I highly recommend you have a look. Looking through the older posts, I found out about a forthcoming book, Christine Dann's Down Home Diet, about New Zealanders relocalising our food supply. I am looking forward to that book, which is to be released at the end of this year. Even if I get my own copy, I'll be badgering our local library to make sure they get a copy for general consumption.

I'm not well networked with other kiwi environmentally conscious growers and eaters outside of a few internet friends. I did enjoy Philippa Jamieson's book on wwoofing around New Zealand and I'll be interested to see if Christine Dann's book generates some more linkages within our tiny yet spreadout country.

Tomorrow I'm attending a session with Green MP Jeanette Fitzsimmons on food choices. It's to be held at a local supermarket, at lunchtime, in the school holidays. Ha ha ha. I am looking forward to meeting her and I hope she has a clear voice and can multi-task on the distraction front.

1 comment:

Johanna Knox said...

Hi Sandra - nice to have found your blog via Nikki's!

There's a list of Slow Food convivia in NZ at
http://www.slowfood.com/about_us/eng/where.lasso

The Marlborough one has a blog at
http://www.slowfoodmarlborough.blogspot.com/

There's also a Slow Food convivium in Christchurch. Not sure if they have a blog.

Those might be your two closest? (Although I guess maybe still too far to travel to events?)

And don't forget, just about every Slow Food convivium must have been started up by someone who doesn't have one in their region, and thinks there should be ... ;o)

Best wishes
Johanna
a fellow neglectful housekeeper ...