Monday, July 21, 2008

anchovy experiment

It's raining and lunarly non-sowing time.

Lately I've noticed newspapers running recipe columns of budget fare. Only they don't generally strike me as budget type meals at all. Nice bean dish but then big slabs of fresh fish on top. Nice bean dish but then chorizo sausages (the expensive 'real' kind) with it. They never strike my could-come-in-under-$6 per-meal radar.

Which in a perhaps illogical way got me thinking about anchovies. Someone was on the radio this morning putting anchovies in with some flash nice bit of meat which was a concept Nigella Lawson introduced me to (through her book, I don't have fabulous connections). Only expensive meat plus expensive anchovies always seemed too much for part time profligate but part time skinflint me.

So this afternoon I'm having a bob both ways. Cheap meat and anchovies. The glamorous cooks always stress really good anchovies. I have no idea. Here in small town you can't always even buy any anchovies so I just buy what I can get.

In the oven now (not thinking food in time to use the slow cooker):
sausages (pork and pineapple which is an unfortunate type I suspect but too late now)
onion
garlic
sun dried tomatoes
mushrooms
pumpkin
rosemary
anchovies
tin of chopped tomatoes

I shall report further tonight.

2 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Yummo! We'll be over with a bottle of wine soon.

Sandra said...

success! Definitely worth the extravagance on the anchovy front. Served it with mashed spud. Forgot greens as I so often do when the children are melting down and dinner needs serving yesterday.

If I had it, then red wine in the casserole would have blended nicely.