Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Don't even wash the pot

Great scheme. I threw the rooster in the slow cooker for the day (with lemon thyme, oil, paprika), added yams at lunchtime and then pulled the bird and yams out at dinnertime. Stripped the carcass of meat and put the carcass back in the slow cooker (which still held the cooking juices) with carrots, onions with skin on, celery, black peppercorns, parsley and bay leaves.

I'll have another look at it in the morning.

The latest NZ Gardener magazine arrived today. Weed of the month is creeping buttercup and it likes poorly drained soils. We have loads and heaps and more loads of creeping buttercup in our garden and lawn. But our rainfall is so massive, especially lately. I don't know that the soil is really compacted or clay heavy, just that it has to deal with so much rain. The tests in gardening books about waiting for an hour to watch water drain don't mention about round here where sometimes it takes days and days (and more days) to get an entire hour free of rain.

Sprouts are good though. Sprouts lift my food growing soul wherever in the world oron the calendar I am.

I've made some weight loss goals. This is unusual behaviour for me. Maybe I'll post more another time.

No comments: