Thursday, July 10, 2008

seed list, compost

Especially for Nova.

Webbs Wonderful Lettuce
Greenfeast peas
Buttercup squash
Russian red tomato
dark green zucchini

borage
German chamomile
chervil
wild thyme

That is what I'm allowing myself to purchase for Spring. The list of my wants is much much longer. Today's attempt to plant onion seeds went bellyup with my daughter breaking the propagator.

I now have four large feed bags of horse manure at home and plenty waiting for me to collect tomorrow. I also have two bales of peastraw waiting for me at the feed shop in town. I've speculated on several ways of organising the horse manure and given the quantities I have available, I expect I'll be able to use all ideas.

Optimally, I want to add a good chunk of carbon heavy materials to the horse manure to aid good composting. So I got out my wee paper shredder this morning to turn some waste paper into shreds for the compost. And broke it. Just like that. Then I realised that I could rip up the paper into strips fairly quickly without any machine to assist me. I've binned the electric paper shredder. One less thing to have in the house.

Speaking of which, we just have far too many things in our house. I collected about 313 shoes to go to the Sallies this morning, 287 of them not matching. Then there is the soft toy menace. If you like someone, then do not buy his or her child a soft toy. They are the world's worst cluttering objects.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

hang on, I must have some beans. They'll fit somewhere...

Sandra said...

and sweet corn...