Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Today my community is

... sitting at the local supermarket selling raffle tickets for my son's school for an hour. Noticing how quite a few people are wearing home made jerseys. Bewing wowed at the generosity of so many people regarding the raffle. Enjoying exchanging smiles with people who passed but did not buy a ticket. Noticing how the supermarket is one place where people of all ages come together, even if they don't all talk.

... receiving a birthday invitation from my lovely friend and childminder Robyn for her fortieth. Reading that she doesn't want presents or cards but if we wish, she would love some support for the Watoto project. Robyn and her husband and a larger group from their church travelled to Uganda last year and built a classroom for this project which changes the lives of orphaned children. Involvement in this project also changed the lives of many people here in our small town. Now they are planning a second trip in 2009. I am very proud of Robyn's commitment and achievements and grateful that my children have her as part of their community also. We'll be buying some bricks and rolling up to her party later next month.

... learning that Robyn can't look after my children tomorrow when I am at work and being able to find alternative care within twenty minutes from two lovely friends.

... Organising a playdate at our house for my son with another mum who has a pile of other commitments every Thursday. Seeing how excited the two boys are at this prospect.

... Visiting my elderly cousin Mary and organising to collect her for the school gala on Saturday morning. Sharing with her my news from Muriel-who-I-saw-at-the-supermarket. Muriel is in her seventies and yet until the beginning of this year was showering and otherwise caring for many local elderly people each day. She cared for my cousin Lou daily and was held in enormously high esteem by Mary and Lou. When Lou took seriously ill, Mary rang Muriel who stoppped everything and drove to be with them. She was with Mary and Lou when he died.

A lot of love.

1 comment:

Sharonnz said...

Hubby & girls saw their choir a couple of years ago. They're doing a great work eh!