Saturday, July 12, 2008

Yams


They had yam tubers for sale as seed at my local garden nursery today. Snaffled some of them immediately and made a note to come back on payday for some more strawberry plants.

This link gives some useful information and a photograph on the vegetable we call a yam in New Zealand. The name means a different vegetable entirely in some parts of the world. The photo above is courtesy of the same site. Regular readers will know I have my camera out as often as I do housework and upload to the computer less frequently again.

Our NZ yams are part of the rather vigorous oxalis family. They tend to keep coming up every year and so I've chosen their spot somewhere contained. They are in the cupboard now and I'll plant them out once they start to sprout. Like potatoes.

Yams are a winter vegetable - we'd be starting to eat our own about now if I'd planted some last year. That makes them very attractive to me. My big goal is to have lots of winter veges in the garden for when prices are high in the shops. We are eating our own kale or swiss chard most days at the moment, but I want even more greens next winter.

No comments: