Sunday, May 4, 2008

rice pudding

Is there no end to the number of items resident and ignored in my cupboards? I don't think I even had brown short grain rice in my original list.

So this afternoon I put the ingredients for rice pudding in the slow cooker. I remember my Mum making rice pudding for us when she cooked mince. Both in the oven slowly for several hours. My Mum doesn't have much time for environmental issues but she knew and knows a good bit about budgeting and that includes economical use of the oven. My best memory of rice pudding was when she used to put it + the mince on before she went to work and the oven on 'automatic' and my job after school was to stir them. The milk used to form a skin which I lifted off and got first dibs on eating. It was nicer than the pudding itself I think.

So hopefully we all like rice pudding here tonight and the brown rather than white rice part works okay. At least I haven't been foolish enough to fill the cupboards with tapioca or sago. Mum did them occasionally and I, not generally a fussy eater, used to wonder what misdemeanour we had commited to deserve such horrid food.

Before rice pudding we will be having leftover soup from last night. No special frills, just reheated. I've run out of home made bread and it's bought stuff to go with the soup as

...

I suspect I have chickenpox also. So I have energy for not much. Except feeling sorry for myself. And blowing my nose.

Outside I have put washing on the line. Did you know that that is such a dead practice in some parts of the world that some enviro group had a special day for encouraging people to use the clothesline? I don't know where the link for this is so you can either
a) google
b) trust me and we'll sigh collectively
c) wonder where I'm from 'cos you don't hang washing on the line at your place either
d) not trust me and not care. Or just not care. Iraq burns and Sandra is wittering about clotheslines for goodness sake.

Also outside I have been thinking about where to put next year's tobacco crop. Our tobacco experiment has been very successful. Favourite Handyman has dried the leaves from the rafters of our small shed and then he bought a pipe as the drag on a rollie paper wasn't sufficient. He reports that it tastes better than bought tobacco. So pretty flowers, easy to process and has saved us about $40 already. Of course,`a lack of any need to grow it next year would be nice, cancer risk etc., but if smoking is his demon for a while longer, then home grown is better than bought.

4 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Sorry to hear you've been visited by the pox! Rice puuuuuudding...it's always said in very reverent tones here...I'm considered the best cook around because I can whip this up in the slow cooker...in fact, think I'll pop some on now!

Nik said...

I lurve rice pudding. You'll need to post the crockpot recipe if it's successful. I have masses of brown rice to use up that we don't eat very often. Shame my kids don't like it...I sure do though! LOL at the clothesline day.

Robbyn said...

A crockpot recipe for rice pudding? bring it on! Wow, sure hope it's not chickenpox...poor thing :(

I'm with you on the tapioca thing...there aren't too many foods I look askance at, but that's surely one of them

Anonymous said...

I notice other people growing tobacco too, for pretty much the same reasons. Like you said it's better not to smoke, but if you must, growing it yourself is probably the healthiest and cheapest option.

As far as I know, it's not legal to grow it yourself here in the Netherlands, for tax reasons...