Saturday, May 3, 2008

shallots, garlic and raspberries

are the things I planted today. Plus I did some weeding and I buried Bokashi and I planned more of the Summer garden. Where the tobacco and the one Echinacea plant were last season, I will plant early potatoes, more Echinacea and some peas. After harvesting the potatoes, I will replace with winter brassicas. The Echinacea is very pretty at the moment and after three years I can dig up the roots and use medicinally.


I planted the raspberry suckers on the spot where our special sea kelp has being resting. I brought this kelp back from Truman's Track the day of the funeral of our friend Rob in England. After I planted the raspberries, I arranged the kelp in a circle around it, like arms reaching around and hugging.

I pulled out one celery plant and one swiss chard plant to make room for the garlic and then cooked them up with other veg, herbs, split peas and barley for dinner. I made gluten free cheese scones again and still haven't used up the only gf flour I didn't throw out last week. I've got leftover soup as usual, in spite of us adults enjoying firsts and seconds. I am incapable of doing small pots of soup.





I did early potatoes last season in the punga raised bed and then followed up with winter greens.

The photo above is two weeks old and there has been growth since then. There is kale, mizuna, swiss chard, pak choy, one onion and purple sprouting brocolli. I tried the mizuna earlier this week and it didn't taste of much, just kind of green tasting. We've been eating and enjoying the kale, pak choy and swiss chard. When I do my next round of garlic planting (when the now late order from Koanga Gardens arrives), some will go in this bed.

No comments: