Thursday, May 22, 2008

Clothes streamlining

After the success of my use-up-the-cupboard challenge, it is time for me to streamline beyond the kitchen.

We have small people's clothes everywhere. In bags in many many places. Some falling out of bags. Things which do not currently fit and too many things which have finished fitting. I was lucky enough to be given three bags of clothes for my children this week. Which I am grateful for. It is also prodded me into realising the need for serious organisation and pruning. Not organisation where you build or buy more storage. The kind where you organise to own less. I gave some clothes away this morning and loaned some tiny nappies.What is with that? I've had them for over 12 months past Brighid outgrowing them. I've mostly managed to get rid of my tiny nappies but had this idea I would sell these ones. At least they are not in the house when they are loaned. But I need to jump some silly hurdle here and make the gift permanent.

I have bags of clothes waiting to go to friends' houses and I think tomorrow is time to drop them all off. Them and more to be sorted and made tomorrow morning.

I need to get over my recycling thing and just throw one million and three odd socks which no longer have a heel left in them in-the-rubbish. I have no need for them in any way. I have given the topic a ridiculous amount of thought.

Then I have to go through the bags of gifted clothing which await the children's next growth spurt(s) and get strategic. I don't need a stash of nine size 6 boys' t-shirts. Not when he is six and certainly not now, when more will arrive from indulgent relatives over summer itself.

You get the picture?

I do. It isn't going to be a fast job, but it is going to happen.

I think ten items per day is a reasonable goal.

No comments: