Friday, May 16, 2008

the corn chip - an useful psychological support

The baby has been sick. The baby and I did not sleep much. Not much at all.

So the nutritional and budgeting projects which usually run more or less to time more or less quite a bit round here, went out the window.

Takeaway Indian for dinner last night, bought lunch for everyone well enough to eat. The dishwasher and the washing machine sat idle while the baby and I sat. and sat and sat and sat.

Today things were somewhat improved and a little home activity took place. Nearing dinnertime I knew I wanted us to have some home cooked nutrition and still lacked much energy or time without holding the baby.

I needed some help.

Corn chips. I still chopped a zillion healthy vitamin containing items to go on top to make vegetable-chickpeas-anchovies nachos, but the knowledge that the carbs would come out of a packet gave the essential boost.

I've had enough of the using up the cupboard project. I can't even be bothered checking if I have done four weeks' worth. It was a useful project and I now have several shelves where I can tell what is in them and I have learnt some useful bread and muffin making recipes which are now part of our weekly repertoire. I officially give up on the amaranth. It will be going on to the compost at the next daylight opportunity.

I haven't given up some of my random hoarding habits. I bought some hoisin sauce for the first time ever this week even though it wasn't on my meal planner or shopping list. Joanna used it in a recent recipe on her blog and I have notions that I'll make this sometime. Except now I've gone to find the link to make to Joanna's recipe, I see she used Thai fish sauce. Hoisin must come from something else I read recently. Any suggestions of food you love which uses Hoisin sauce? I'd love to read them.

No comments: