Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It's all about food

I'm really glad I got my latest garden patch ready for blueberries in the weekend. On Monday I had a closer look at Blueberry plants at our local garden centre and when finances permit, we'll be buying two plants.

The blueberries are something of an abstraction in my head as life this week hasn't involved chilling out in the garden. It's all been about work and doctors and school. When even the dishwasher is getting a holiday, there isn't much home activity going on.

So I'm on a new food challenge. To eliminate unhealthy yeast levels from the bodies of myself and my children. It is going to be a learning process and I'll become either more or less convinced of it's usefulness over time. I found Radish Boy's blog recently which is providing me with some more interesting thoughts. Again the ideas often attributed to Sally Fallon on soaking and fermenting foods came up and I know I need to read this book very carefully soon. Perhaps it isn't so much the foods we are eating (I consider us to have a fairly healthy diet) as how we are preparing them which is our next project.

I know some readers are a lot further down this path of knowledge and discovery than I, just starting out, am. One of the foods the doctor was keen on our egg free boy eating is leeks. Also lots of green vegetables. So points to the garden there as we have leeks growing which will be ready in Spring and 20 swiss chard plants and eight kale plants producing winter greens for us now. I was admiring the colours on our purple sprouting brocolli today. The cold is bringing the purple out more. A long way off edible flowers though.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hi Sandra,
Your blog is wonderful. I love your garden. It is so vibrant !
Thanks for stopping by Radish Boy. My family's health really improved when we changed how we ate. We started eating more cultured foods, rich in probiotics, such as raw sauerkraut, miso, tempeh, kimchi, kombucha, and kefir. We also started soaking and sprouting grains overnight before cooking. We also increased the amount of raw organic veggies to ensure an abundant supply of enzymes... big salads, veggie sticks, fresh veggie juice. Of course we gave up pretty much all packaged foods and refined flour and sugar. It wasn't really all that hard once we started.
Becky

Sandra said...

Thanks for the blog compliment Becky. I am looking forward to getting into the cultured food revolution with the help of guides like Sally Fallon and yourself (and Rachael - havepinnywillcook.wordpress.com).