Thursday, May 8, 2008

Dev-zone

What a fabulous website and resource Dev-zone is. Today I left the house for the first time in about a hundred years and while out in the big wide world non-chickenpoxed world, a friend told me about dev-zone, where I can get DVDs out like the Cuba: Community Solution one I have wanted to watch for ages but never prioritised the money to buy the DVD. I'm looking forward to making good use of Dev-Zone's resources.

Another friend gave me some rhubarb cuttings today. I've chosen the spot to plant it when it stops raining.

Calorie city for dinner tonight. A version of scalloped potatoes which involves bacon, potatoes, swiss chard (of course), onions, cheese and cream. Unrepentantly full fat food. Didn't use anything in the cupboard. A girl has to have a break some time(s).

Mutterings about food disasters, not just 'somewhere else' but on our doorstep, in our homes, seem to be on the increase. I watch a number of local friends make changes to their shopping but not be interested in the bigger, freaky, apocalyptic peak oil drama. But they are making changes, reflecting on good household practice. I'm not sure that pushing the bigger picture in their face is productive. Could be wrong. Or right. Still thinking about this.

Kay Baxter has some interesting things to say about community and returning to really basic basics - e.g. lactic fermenting, not agee jar preserving and growing food to feed the chooks, not buying in chook food. All in the latest Organic NZ magazine. I'm quite prepared to buy this magazine every second month when it comes out as I do learn a lot from it.

This month Organic NZ has a special feature on heritage fruit trees, with a focus on apples. I'm off to look at some of the suggested South Island suppliers' websites and see if I have a wishlist.

2 comments:

Sharonnz said...

They're showing The Community Solution at our Transition Town meeting next week. You really should read Nourishing Traditions - lots about lacto-fermenting in there.

Nik said...

That mag sounds like it could be a good one to get this month - or maybe if I grab a few hours to myself this weekend I could stand in the bookshop reading it.