Sunday, May 25, 2008

Pine mulch

Firstly, here is me in my garden hat, which I knitted myself. In the background are the windows from a friend's house which will eventually be turned into our glasshouse. Then next is a photo I took yesterday of part of our potager. What a fancy word. But apparently if you have flowers of any kind in with your vegetables, then you are eligible. And although they aren't currently flowering and are also obscured by the kale, there are calendulas at this end of the garden and pansies at the other end. The strawberries are from runners which reached out from their home spot next to this garden. I cut off the runners and left these plants in the photo and pulled out the original plant. Rhubarb is in the unseen next door spot now.The photo below is of my pine needle mulched blueberry bed. No blueberry plants in it yet. First I finished off burying the last container of Bokashi and then I added some compost - mostly horse poo and peastraw. The peastraw hadn't rotted down much at all but the horse poo had and was teeming with worms. I think that batch is only about three months old and in a non-sunny spot. I think what is helping a lot is that the triangular horse poo compost spot is bordered on all three ides by corrugated iron and the sun warms the other side of two of the sides. After that I took the wheelbarrow and rake down to the local rugby field which is by the beach and has a huge pine tree with years' worth of needles below it. I filled the barrow and then, back home, spread it on top of the compost. Pine needles are acidic and blueberries like an acidic soil. Or so I'm told. It is layered on quite thick but I can lift some if I find out later that a thin layer is a better choice. I'm guessing not too much in the way of weeds is going to make it through those layers.

1 comment:

Sharonnz said...

Love the hat and potager. Jealous of rhubarb and blueberry spot!