Thursday, April 17, 2008

Oops!

Nearly forgot I had a blog.

Here in wetville that had turned into droughtville, we finally had some rain for most of this week. My friends on tank water supplies are able to use their washing machines again. My garden is looking quite reasonable and I'm aware that I need to get Favourite Handyman to download some photos. You know, so you can tell I'm not a fake. Cos' you'd all be reading if you thought I was a fake making up my garden, huh? Or just because I don't have any home photos for ages and this is supposed to be an at least partly illustrated diary of my gardening journey.

I've been thinking about global and local food supplies untilI overloaded today and it all fell out of my head. No doubt I'll be thinking about it again soon.

Last night at my local book group we talked about old fashioned skills like sewing. One of my friends said 'nobody knits anymore' and I elbowed her to disagree, just like at school (though then I'm sure it wasn't about knitting). Some of us are learning to sew nappies for Real Nappy Week next week and spurred on by that opportunity, we are organising for an evening sewing class at the Adult Ed section of the local high school. Not everybody learning to sew some naff sundress at once (I still remember that at school when I was eleven. I have yet to see a fashion era in which that sundress looked passable). We would each bring our projects and problems and our tutor would be able to help us with them. Crucially, there would be no one year olds at the class.

Cos I'm old fashioned (or a new fashioned greenie peak oil-aware person as an alternative description), I am indeed knitting. I've knitted a jersey for my daughter and a garden hat for me and now I am really being adventurous and knitting myself a cardigan out of alpaca and merino wool. Photos on my next photo post. I'm wary of putting a time on when that will be. Who was that in Alice in Wonderland who was always late?

I've found another source of chicken poo and will be collecting that very soon. Clearly not all chicken keepers are keen gardeners.

Our scarecrow has fallen over completely before we could get him to look awesome.

I've been catching more mice. I'd better go and bait some more traps now. Also want to get some rocket and mesclun planted for growing on the windowsill and some sprouts going. Maybe some bread.

I think this adds up to getting pressing "publish post" and getting lots more active for the next hour.

5 comments:

Sharonnz said...

We've found wee micies eating our "emergency food" rice in the garage...grrrrrr. Looking forward to the grown-up knitting photos!

Nik said...

Oh, we're being overrun by mice too! They were eating my spare rice in the laundry cupboard too. And gnawing and scratching around in Nathan's chest of drawers at 2am, and running around in the ceiling space at all hours, not to mention hiding in my hot water cupboard...

Sandra said...

The sets of two traps at Mitre 10 work really well. I have four placed at strategic points in the kitchen and one of the outdoor sheds and when I find the rest (I'm sure we own a couple more) I'll be adding to the war armoury (have I got the right word there?). Peanut butter is a good bait and you don't need to touch the dead mouse at any stage.

Nik said...

One down...

Nik said...

Oh, and I'm not sure mine like my organic almond/peanut butter...