Sunday, April 13, 2008

agflation

We've been giving much thought and discussion over to the rocketing prices of food staples world-wide in our house lately. Rice, I read in the Guardian Weekly today, rose in price on the international market by 50% in the last fortnight. Just one of many examples. We are reading of the very real possibility of food riots in some parts of the world.

The Guardian Weekly also had a review of a book on the history of the potato. Has more to offer nutritionally than any of the grains. Really, we should give over our entire lawn to potatoes I think. But for the mean time we will leave plenty of running space for the children. We do plan to double or triple last year's potato harvest though, including growing early, mid and late season varieties. I'd like to have veges to store for winter next year. My Dad has that one all sorted out with potatoes and pumpkins plus he leaves carrots and parsnips in the ground to store and I have more to learn on that front. I have got my own garlic in storage though.

6 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Same discussions happening here. I've told Dh I really need to wean myself off rice and start loving the potato...return to my roots, so to speak;-)

Nik said...

Yep, potatoes all the way! That was my plan over spring, and I intend on really trying to get a good storage system for this years harvest. I do think being able to live off potatoes will go a long way. Fortunately, we're big potato eaters and in fact don't really eat much rice these days at all (I think I changed my mindset last year and just haven't cooked it since!). Just gotta figure out how to get a good crop since last years was a bit of a disappointment despite having heaps of plants on the go.

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. I am a new gardener in Texas. Planted collards, cabbage tomato, strawberry, watermelon, cantaloupe, squash, herbs, and peppers! I cant wait to see results.

Look forward to reading your blog more :)

Bri

Sandra said...

nice to see you Briana. Welcome to my blog.

Anonymous said...

Wonder if this chap's been reading your blog?!

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=440392&in_page_id=2&ito=1723

Sandra said...

Very good article. Thanks Tania. Good to see the figures which allow me to compare NZ and the UK. Looks like your food inflation is above ours.