Sunday, April 13, 2008

I planted something...

just not sure what. Thought I'd plant out the remaining seedlings from my seed raising desk (do I need a desk for garden purposes? No. I need them up HIGH away from my daughter). Come hell or highwater I would do it today. I grabbed a tray of half a dozen seedlings and headed to a bare patch in one of the garden beds. And cleared said bed carefully and then eventually noticed that one "weed" which I had pulled out was identical to the seedlings I was just about to transplant. I wondered if it was corn salad, but a scan of corn salad pictures on the net doesn't show any with tiny red blotches on them. I think otherwise it is some kind of pansy as I bought a few of them.

Looks like Spring will be full of wonder indeed.

We pulled the old strawberry plant out, leaving the new plants which had formed from runners into the next bed (the same one with the mystery seedlings newly homed in it - oh how funny to think of my careful companion planting plans last year). Then Favourite Handyman buried the Bokashi in it and I topped it with peastraw to slowly break down over winter. I had thought I'd give this spot over to a rose bush. But now I'm back fixated on edible stuff. Thinking espaliered blackberries after some more browsing in the garden centre this afternoon.

I used the last of our cherry tomatoes on a pizza this afternoon. Excellent harvest indeed. The longest producers were in a sunny sheltered spot in large black plastic tubs which also absorbed heat to keep the soil warm. I'll be using that method again next year.

No comments: