Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Coal, petrol. A cheap shot or a good target?

Tonight's local paper reports our mayor's outrage at the NZ Green party's new catchphrase 'keep the coal in the hole', first mentioned I think in Jeanette Fitzsimmon's Earth Day speech. A cheap shot aiming at Auckland voters says Tony Kokshoorn, our local mayor. Maybe. This link gives some information but doesn't include the comment in our local rag which I found most compelling. Kokshoorn is mad that the Green Party has chosen as it's target an industry which is bringing a significant amount of money into our West Coast economy.

According to the Grey Star (23/04.08, p.2), "[Kokshoorn] said if the Greens were sincere in their convictions they would also call for a ban on petrol."

Well I don't doubt the sincerity of conviction of Jeanette Fitzsimmons. But I did wonder about the choice to focus on coal.

Perhaps I'm turning into a Coaster after all.

No comments: