Monday, April 7, 2008

Lament for the naked scarecrow

I'm late. Very late. I can explain, it may even seem very reasonable. But the fact is that I am late.

Anyway, today was the first day I got to actually creating our scarecrow. I've thought about our scarecrow at times, and had cleared weeds and rotting logs from the area last month. While teh nasturtiums were rambling everywhere, I was thinking of creating a 'Queen of the Nasturtiums'. But then I weeded and thus the nasturtiums disappeared. So that seemed less appropriate.

Then our friend Rob died and every time I surveyed our back garden, I could only think of Rob, and a scarecrow seemed too frivolous. Today, still mere days after Rob's death, I spent part of the morning pulling out the spent tomato plants, weeding and beginning to come to terms with the cycle of life and death, winter and summer. I was getting a little closer to being able to start our scarecrow.

After school I started I showed Fionn the cross I'd made. That too was reminiscent of death. We gave the cross a head and just as I was thinking our scarecrow would be nude for the night, we found an apron and tied it across his front.

I/we are only on the beginning of our scarecrow journey. But I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Sharonnz said...

(((HUGS)))

Sadly, our scarecrow has taken a backseat to Mama's autumn funk;-)

Rach said...

so we're not too late?

Sandra said...

Not too late at all. We'll all get there and have fun in time.

Nik said...

I must have missed the scarecrow competition post - had to go back and search for it. Nathan wants to make one, but there are no plans just yet.