Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Home again

Two days in Hanmer Springs with Fionn and Brighid and my parents at their home. Otherwise known to me as peak oil fortress capability A+++ rating. Nice time. Came back with pumpkins from Dad's garden, some raspberry canes from Dad's garden so I can grow my own next year and seven jars of home made jam from Mum - some blackberry and some apricot. I also brought back the blackout lining for the lounge curtains which Mum so kindly made. All wonderful gifts which I really appreciate. Bringing home grandchildren certainly has currency.

Then a night in Christchurch, catching up with friends who used to live on the coast. Where I got to be dual personality mum yet again.

Scene one: 11.30am Monday. Sandra in long flowing skirt, baby in ergo on her back, long haired and beautifully behaved son holding her hand. We are in Piko Organic foods cooperative choosing lentils and beans for the winter. Life is beautiful and we are beautifully organic. We cross the road and collect some natural medicine for Fionn's latest skin complaint and don't argue once that I can recall.

Scene two: 12.30pm Monday. Sandra and children in car, hungry. Sandra experiencing strong aversion to getting all children out of the car again in order to buy lunch and some fizzy and wine to take to our friends' house. So we buy KFC at the drive thru and I spend precious fossil fuel driving to a further away mall which has a liquor outlet where I can leave the kids in the car straight outside and dash in.

Today we met up with Favourite Handyman in Christchurch and all drove home again and I stood out the back in the rain as soon as I got home matching the spring planting plans I'd made while driving with the reality in front of me. Oh and also today I found some New Zealand grown, good quality looking shallots and bought some to break up and plant in the garden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful picture of compost! Is there a happier sight for a gardener than a wheelbarrow full of the good stuff?? I think not.

I found you through Robbyn's Back Forty and was absolutely delighted at my new find! Blog hopping is not often a fruitful venture but today -- well, today is a very good day. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog!

Can't wait to have a good long look around this evening!

Blessings!
Lacy

Nik said...

LOL at Sandra #1 and #2 - I do the dual personality quite well too!