Sunday, April 20, 2008

Insulation

If you want intellect, sophistication, or anything interesting which doesn't read like a rambling version of "Sandra learns how to housekeep" (I do have to face how boring I am getting), then go elsewhere. I have a bad case of boringness and need to read some poetry and go for a walk soon.

But for the moment, insulation. The first year we lived in this house, our first home we have owned, Favourite Handyman installed thick (above minimum requirements) pink batts in the ceiling. I think he's installed ten batts and we only need to purchase 3 more to complete the area above the kitchen and laundry.

My Mum is making blackout lining for the lounge curtains - possibly even as I write. I've paid for the material and I really appreciate her doing the making. Each year she makes some for another room - we already have blackout lined curtains in our bedroom and in Fionn's. They should help stretch our firewood further as they block the heat from floating through our single thickness windows.

I've been trying to work out where a few drafts have been coming from. There is a cold front coming off the window above our bed on windy nights. The blind is not enough (curtains with blackout lining are only on the large window). So I have a curtain of reasonable thickness which Mum made for us for the rental we were in (the coldest draftiest place in the West Coast it seemed at the time). I need to buy some track and hooks and install it. Then I need to scour the Sallies and second hand shops for a headboard for our bed which will move the bed out from the wall a little. Hopefully any remaining draft from the bottom of the curtain will go downwards behind the bed and miss our faces this way.

I put a blanket at the base of the front door last night but that draft didn't completely disappear. More research needed on that one.

2 comments:

Sharonnz said...

You and Hubby need to talk. He is ALL about insulation atm. He's saving up to buy some fancy expensive wool stuff to put above A3's bedroom that we can take to another rental. He's also double glazed the kid's rooms with thick plastic stuff which is working wonders. I'm on 'new curtain' duty.

Sandra said...

Have a look at lining the existing curtains - black out or thick thermal - you can take it with you when you move. More warmth for your dollar than buying new curtain material. Where did he buy the double glazing plastic? I read about that in the UK but I've never seen it in action.

yeah your hubby and I do need to talk!!