Tuesday, January 22, 2008

sprouts etc.

Writing this down so I remember that today I did do something that wasn't cleaning or childcare. I need to know every day that I have done something beyond these two tasks or I disappear.
1. Started six jars of sprouts with Fionn. Whero peas, radish, onions, alfalfa. I've never sprouted whero peas or onions before. I adore radish sprouts.
2. Made hummous. I make lots of hummous. Today I added some flax seed oil from Waihi Bush to enhance the nutritive effect of an already excellent food healthwise. Also added fresh mint, parsley and basil.
3. Made pesto using garlic, cashews, basil, parsley, olive oil and romano cheese. Romano cheese, I am now able to report, tastes a lot like parmesan but very slightly not so tasty. Thought I'd try it for a change. Cashews taste fine in the pesto and are less pricey than pinenuts. I tried using sunflower seeds instead once but wasn't much impressed by the results.
4. Roasted the two silkie roosters. Black skin and speckled flesh. Tasty but I don't think roasting it is the best match for the flavours. Visually very unusual. If I get another opportunity to cook silkie meat, I think I'll find some Chinese cooking recipes for it. We used most of one bird for dinner. Perhaps I could muck around with some Chinese flavourings and do stir fried reheated chicken shred tomorrow. Meals this week are definitely going to be all about chicken. I've kept the heads, necks and feet for making stock.

Also the Kings seeds order arrived. Which made my day except it rained all day so I couldn't sow as the progeny and I don't all fit in the tiny spot of shelter sitting in the potting shed. Favourite Handyman calls it the tool shed but I think his tools need to move east just as soon as the big shed door gets fixed so it can be locked.

I went to the chiropractor this morning which means I didn't limp anywhere today. A good development.

I should be reading my book group book - A Fine Balance by Rohan Mistry. It is long long long with fine print and I read five pages and all that happened is one guy bought a comb on a train. I kow literature isn't all about plot but I thought this a bit extreme. Odds of me finishing it are very poor. Or even reading any more of it. I wonder who is to blame in our group for choosing that book? It might be polite for me not to ask, I suppose.

About the post title. My English teacher in the third form told me that using' etc.' is lazy and should be avoided. She remains correct. I am guilty of lazy, slovenly writing. I think I'll go find the treat beer gifted to us recently by a friend. It's called Stonecutter and is a Scotch Ale.

And I can now tell you that I like it.

3 comments:

Sharonnz said...

No, no, no Sandra!! You MUST persevere. A Fine Balance is one of my top books ever!!

Sandra said...

Ooooh. Oh. And I've just read your book post and all. I'll take some deep breaths and have another go.

Veronica said...

O M G Your comment about that book, how you read five pages and all that happened is that one guy bought a comb on a train seriously made me LOL! A blog post has never actually made me laugh out loud before but couldnt help it. I started reading a book once in which, in several pages, all that happened was some guy walked down a road. I never got much further! I know how you feel.