Monday, January 21, 2008

Nasturtiums

A first last night: I finally tried eating nasturtiums. They tasted nice. Useful as we have heaps growing wild. Bigger story. I put them in a salad I made when the neighbours across the road (we are immediately bordered by seven houses plus have three neighbours across the road), whom I've met briefly once, invited us round for a barbecue. A sausage and a beer they said. Which reminds me just how classicly understated New Zealanders can be. It was a completely gorgeous spread. Very nice people too. It's a while since I've walked into a party and known no one at all and even me the chronic extrovert and seasoned 'it's-a-new-town-so-I'll-get-out-there-and-make-friends' person had to take a deep breath and keep walking in.

Anway despite the excellent company and excellent food, it turned out no one was a vege gardener and of course no one knew me well enough to recognise that everything in the salad (tomatoes, chives, different types and colours of lettuce, nasturtiums) was home grown. So I didn't properly get to show off. I've been gifting lots of food (home grown or home made) of late, and I don't think it is mostly altruism, it's mostly so I can show off.

1 comment:

Veronica said...

Well I would have been impressed with your salad, sounds delicious.