Saturday, January 19, 2008

more land! more land!

Not buying some - I'm supposed to be all about solvency you know.

But two great things have happened in recent days. First favourite handyman has been lopping, sawing and mulching the ugly and overgrown trees at the front of the garage. We'd never seen light on the ground (or indeed much ground) on that area once until earlier this week, and now we have the makings of another garden plot. I'm thinking potatoes or pumpkins. It borders the driveway/road so fruit might be too tempting for passers-by, and I need low maintenance type veges as I can't safely garden out there with Brighid (nearly one).

The second excellent development has been in invasive garden patch. This was also an area of total overgrown ugly-treeness when we moved in and I rather infamously tried to get lopping in there just three weeks after giving birth to Brighid and ended up contracting something weird and getting extremely ill. Still that was ages ago and (more gently) I've been working on the area since to the point where all the trees are chopped down and mint is flourishing there alongside nasturtiums, wild lillies, convulvulus, wandering jew and docks. That area has been used as a grass clippings compost in the past (pre-us) and the soil is lovely and dark and crumbly, just like the books tell you is best. Yesterday I finally got round to burying the rest of the Bokashi. As the lawn was rock hard, I abandoned my idea of digging a spot, preparing it with Bokashi and later planting our Feijoa in it. Instead I dug up part of the invasive garden. Full of roots from chopped down trees and other previously mentioned plants, but otherwise beautiful. So I'm inspired to put more work in there and get some edibles going in it. Current thoughts are rhubarb - that doesn't need full sun does it? It gets afternoon sun.

Last night I began stage three of the invasive garden patch by clipping huge flowering docks into an old potting mix bag. Don't know whether today will be about gardening or tomato sauce making.

No comments: