Tuesday, January 1, 2008

chooks

I need some slave labour to help me achieve my (many) goals in the garden. And chooks seem the cheapest and most effective. There is wood against the shed which can be used to make a chicken coop once I work out the best plan. I want to be able to move it around the garden. Currently I'm thinking that I want to be able to vary the size of the run rather than have to standardise my raised beds so the chook tractor fits neatly on each one. Everything in my body resists standardisation, of anything, anywhere, anytime. So some metal stakes (we recently inherited some) and chicken wire (not hard to acquire) which could be used to make the required shape depending on where in the garden the chook tractor is. I need to read a bit more and decide whether I have issues with clipping their wings. If I don't, then I won't have to bother about creating a lid for the run.

1 comment:

Nik said...

Yay, chooks for you! Apparently, it's only the feathers that you clip on one wing which means it can't fly straight - well, that's the way that was described to me if I ever needed to do it.