Monday, January 14, 2008

garden roundup

I've had a week off gardening while I got rather serious on the parenting thing and planned and threw a fifth birthday party for Fionn. Pirate everything. Was marvellous. I'll have a bit more of my own life and interests back again now thanks.

In NZ, glycophosphate is called 'roundup' but that doesn't touch my garden.

We've been eating zucchinis (I even made pickle earlier this month), beetroot, silverbeet, lettuces and potatoes from the garden. All good. Recent weather has been hot and humid and the green veg are responding by growing noticeably faster. I have a little bit of everything and no gluts (the pickle was from looking after a friend's garden who does have gluts). Shame I haven't managed to get carrots to grow yet. I've read the good things to do but I just forget or don't manage to do them. Constant even moisture apparently. I'll keep trying.

Today I transplanted 24 lettuces into small pots and 9 silverbeets. Twentyfour is a few more than we need to eat in one week, but I'll find good homes for them. Most of the silverbeet will go to my chook keeping friend Rayleen when they are bigger. Rayleen also has a source of sheep poo for me at her brother's farm up the valley. Looking forward to that outing. I'm not joking, though I accept that you might prefer to think I am.

My comfrey plant is growing very very well in its pot, doubling in size in less than a month. I'm going to divide it soon (I hope) and put some of it in the front garden (I guess we will just scream permaculture hippy from the moment people pull up the drive then. oh well) and some in my invasive patch where it can hang out with the mint (planted there by me), the nasturtium, (growing wild but welcome) and the Wandering Jew, Docks, Convulvulus who are like lecherous men in seedy bars. Always hanging round and never appealing.

No comments: