Thursday, January 3, 2008

chooks

Have I mentioned I want chooks? Oh only five times this week.

Well I still want chooks and I am fairly determined to get them. Still planning the chook coop and organising Favourite Handyman to make it.

Apparently some breeds are quieter than others and thus particularly suited to suburban life. If I could get fairly quiet birds and no roosters, then I think my neighbours would be fine about the project, especially with a little egg gift bribing, oops egg gifting. Can't see they'll be any noisier than my children and the neighbours seem to like them.

Need to do more research and find which breeds are quiet ones.

2 comments:

Nik said...

My banties are quiet (2 are silkies) - forget they're down there when I'm gardening. Only occasaionlly hear them squarking really loudly from up in the house - usually late in the afternoon and when I think one of them is laying. They do bok-bok when I come down to feed them, but more in greeting and saying "feed me!" lol. Haven't heard it for a while though.

Anonymous said...

Didn't know you were after chickens too? We're getting some (purely for eggs though, not meat) in about three weeks though need to finish building the housing for them first. We've not got a clue about which breeds we're going for either.