Wednesday, January 16, 2008

admiring the gardens over east

well Leanne's anyway. How gorgeous is that?

I've been burying more Bokashi this morning. This time I'm digging into sand it seems. We live on a rise about 300 metres from the beach. The area where we live is an old gold dredging site and exactly where our 809 sqm fits into that history I'm not sure. I do notice big differences in the composition of the soil in different parts of the garden though. Because the house has always been tenanted until we bought it, I'm creating garden out of soil that hasn't been gardened in for years and in patches possibly forever.

Favourite Handyman has been lopping branches and mulching them all morning. I've just put another barrowload of wood chip mulch on my lettuce/silverbeet/leek/2 red onions and 1 carrot/not much beetroot left garden. What a wonderful difference.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

800m2 is a nice size for a garden, even if not all of it can be used right now. My last garden was about 800m2, now I'm down to 300m2, which is enough too.

It's great to see you posting about midsummer gardening, while we are all in the deep throws of winter, trading and buying seeds. It gives us all hope!

Sandra said...

well the house and garden have to fit on that space too!

Sandra said...

should have read house and garage!