Monday, January 21, 2008

Silkies

Today we were given two Silkie roosters by our wonderful friend Raelene. Favourite Handyman killed and plucked them, I gutted and hung them (just for a few hours given the high temperatures) and now they are in our fridge. Silkies are a very interesting bird (to me anyway). They have black skin and dark flesh. The feathers on ours were white though apparently they are found with other colours. They are small and apparently more tasty than other chooks and sought after by Chinese restaurants. They are also quiet birds (when alive) and they are currently top of my list for the kind of chooks I want.

I've spoken to two of our neighbours about me having chooks and they are both really enthusiastic. The lovely Barry even said he would like to hear them.

When we weren't doing murdering activities today, Favourite Handyman built a path between two raised beds out of newspaper, sand and recycled paving stones. It is fantastic. Fionn and I got the seed packets out and sowed some basil, swiss chard, Flanders poppies, calendula and parsley. Then I transplanted some lettuce and swiss chard seedlings into the garden while Fionn made a fountain out of the seed spraying (fine mist watering) bottle. Finally we transferred out comfrey plant from its pot to the front garden. It is definitely a statement of gardening values that I've chosen to use the spot which makes the first impression on guests to make compost materials. I'm much more into the living garden space that we enjoy every day out the back than the front part and the front garden is also very contained in terms of the comfrey not invading other garden spots.

I'm eagerly anticipating a delivery from Kings Seeds any day now.

I wonder when we will eat the one and only carrot which I managed to grow this summer? What occasion could be special enough?

No comments: