Monday, September 24, 2007

Looking for a good home

I exercised a little restraint in late winter over the Kings Seeds Catalogue. I decided not to order courgette/zucchini seeds cos we didn't have room to plant them.

Only now my local gardening partner Gayleen has given me 12 zucchini seedlings which she doesn't have room for. And I can't see them go to waste can I? And we have been buying zucchini pickle of late which would surely be superior if home made.

Who needs lawn anyway...

Ages ago I got far too much horse poo and now I'm making a new slower compost pile for horse poo (cos apparently it needs more decomposing and hopefully enough heat to kill the weeds seeds within it than our grass clippings and chicken shed scrapings and seaweed heap) and leaves (which take years to much down according to the books). I started clearing the site today and found many many slugs. I'm disconcerted when they keep moving after I've cut them in half. What if I wasn't listening in fourth form biology (I wasn't) and it turns out that if you cut slugs in half, both halves turn into autonomous units and I've increased the slug population on my treasured section? So I tried chopping the bigger ones into three and four pieces and that slowed them down.

4 comments:

Fire said...

If slugs are the problem, the solution is something that says "cluck".

Sandra said...

I often think that. I need a non-clucking solution this year though. Going to try the beer trap sometime soon. Bit iffy on wasting good beer though and toyed with asking my barmaid friend if we could have the drippings from underneath the beer taps one night.

Nik said...

how about squashing them instead of cutting? Yeah, we love throwing them to the chickens.

Sandra said...

We've done squashing as well. Just depends what we have to hand toolwise. Rocks are good for squashing and the trowel squashes little ones but not effective on big ones.